WIR SHETLAND is currently a multi-party campaign group dedicated to winning self-governing powers for Shetland.
Our preferred approach is to involve local political parties in discussions aimed at achieving our goal. However, the option of registering as a political party will be considered if necessary.
- To protect the long term interests of Shetlanders by achieving self-governing autonomy, in line with the democratic wishes of residents.
- To achieve Falkland Islands-style British Overseas Territory or similar, status.
- To secure the legal rights of Shetland residents, businesses and similar bodies.
- To develop trade and cultural links between Shetland and her political and geographic neighbours.
- The interests of Shetland differ markedly from Scotland and the UK.
- The geography, history and culture of Shetland and Orkney set them apart from the UK.
- Membership of the EU is damaging for Shetland’s fishing industry and the rationale for remaining a member is weak.
- In the absence of an autonomy deal with Scotland, Scottish independence will be damaging for Shetland.
- Shetland needs to be self-governing